Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Home Way Bound Pandi Bear, What I forgot before getting a New Puppy!

Home Way Bound Pandi Bear! What I forgot before getting a New Puppy.

Things to consider at home before getting a New Puppy.

For Real Estate Inquiries, Please Call, Your Journey Team:   Niki Fuller at 502-523-5554e: niki@YourJourneyTeam.com  http://www.YourJourneyTeam.com

Visit our website for our current listings at  www.yourjourneyteam.com

image source: www.paraspets.com

1 month ago, I lost my dog Potatopuds because of a closed pyometra. It wasn't the best feeling and I was devastated. I cannot function well and was sad all the time. But, no matter how painful and no matter how you wanted to just stay in bed to mourn for your dog's loss, life must go on and look for ways to help me function normally.

My brilliant idea was to get me a new puppy, a puppy who looks exactly like her and give her a name that I used to call Potato puds which is "Pupuds." I know! You must be rolling your eyes for being unfair to the dog I lost and feel sorry for the new puppy who will become a replacement for Potato puds.

To make the story short, I got the new puppy as my birthday gift to myself and named her Pandi Bear. I was choosing a name, it was between "pandicoco" ( a bread stuffed with coconut fillings) or pandora. I ended up with Pandi Bear! She is a Liver nose Shitzu and a puppy full of energy!

I forgot to consider all the things I should before getting a new puppy. Here is the list and I hope you guys can avoid making the same mistake.

1. Check your surrounding for anything that your puppy may chew.


Image source: www.petinfoclub.com
Assess your home if your furniture is at risk of being chewed by your teething puppy, all appliances chords that is needed to be covered and unplugged when not in use. Your puppy might get mouth burn, electrocution, and possible cause of a fire in your home. Prevention is better that cure as what the doctor's always say.

So, the foot of my table have a chew mark and I should have padded or covered it the day I was about to get the puppy and my headset had been chewed by Pandi bear. 

2. Give your New pup a Space where they can retreat.

Image source: designerdoginfo.wordpress.com
Being a puppy in a new strange home and environment can be stressful. It is advisable to give them a corner with all their toys and that can make them feel safe while adjusting to your place. Give them toys, chew bone and a bed where they can retire and retreat when things became really overwhelming for them.

Yeah... This I forgot, I was so excited getting a new puppy that I didn't have the time to fix her puppy corner and she found her safe spot on my bed. I have all her toys on my bed. I'm just glad she doesn't pee on my bed.


3. Act Like a Puppy.

image source: www.camelothouse.com
Look at your house from your puppy's point of view: get down on all fours and look around. Move or remove dangling electric cords, loose nails, plastic bags or other tempting objects that are in reach. Pick up buttons, string, sewing needles, pins and other sharp objects, and anything small enough to swallow. 


Make sure that your fences are fixed and that all harmful chemicals are out sight. Just like with kids, everything should be out of sight and not out of reach.  

I made sure my home is safe and no need to go on all fours to pretend you are a puppy. LOL! 

4. A puppy safe cleaning agent for the floor.

Image source: dogtime.com
It was a long time since I had a puppy a puppy safe cleaning aid was not in anywhere in my home. I use soap with a bit of bleach to disinfect and remove the smell on my floor. But now, I have to consider the cleaning aid that I have.

I found this easy to make cleaning agent and an effective way to remove odor, clean our floors and safe for our puppies.
Lemon-fresh all-purpose cleaner
If the smell of vinegar is too potent for your taste, try this easy-to-make all-purpose cleaner that uses lemon juice instead. The baking soda cuts through grime like a knife; the lemon juice contains natural enzymes that break down organic matter. You can use this on most household surfaces; unlike some commercial cleaners, you can safely use it around animals.
Ingredients:
  • A clean, empty spray bottle or bucket
  • 3 cups of very hot water
  • 2 tbsp of baking soda
  • 2 tbsp pure lemon juice (fresh squeezed or bottled)
Direction:
First, pour the water into the bottle or bucket. Next, add the baking soda, making sure it completely dissolves and uniformly distributes throughout the water. Finally, add the lemon juice, again making sure you mix it well. Spray on soiled surfaces and wipe with a clean, damp cloth. When you’re done cleaning, pour any remaining mixture down the drain.

5. Guard Rail and cage.

Image source: www.orvis.com


I would suggest that the guard rail must be installed by the front door and the place where they are off limits. I know it's sad to see our furbabies behind those gates, but safety always comes first. If there is one thing I'm scared of is my puppy running out of the door and gets hit by a car. For the meantime, I'll use a piece of wood or anything wide and high enough for my puppy to jump over or at least enough to keep her safe.

I prefer this over a cage and I think I need to put one to her "will be" puppy corner. I'll have to train her to use a potty pad and place cotton sheets all over her corner just in case she accidentally pees by her corner.

Everyone, I would like you to meet Pandi Bear!


Like what I have said, she found her safe place on my bed, just because I forgot to provide one for her. Lesson learned, and now she trained me to put her on my bed when she wanted to. I will provide her own corner, once, I have the time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment